saai | Archive for Architecture and Engineering

Digital Collection Egon Eiermann

Experimental power station for the Technical University
1951-1956, 2nd Construction phase 1959-1962

test

Experimental power station for the Technical University

The experimental power plant is used for basic research into steam and gas turbines and thermal investigations into parts of power plants such as jet engines, combustion chambers and heat exchangers. A steel hall spanned by a truss with external supports and large areas of glazing covers the working levels, most of which are made of concrete. The stairwell and main entrance form a separate reinforced concrete structure. The cooling tower and one of four planned chimneys were realised, while the coal bunker and the administration building remained in the planning stage. The visible steel skeleton and the diagonal wind bracing made of round steel are painted light blue, the windows white, the non-glazed exterior doors yellow, the chimney and cooling tower silver-grey. Solid wall panels are clad with matt black stoneware tiles; the stairwell is exposed concrete with a rough finish.

Immo Boyken, „Entwurfscharakteristika im Werk von Egon Eiermann aus der Zeit nach dem zweiten Weltkrieg“ , Diss., Universität Karlsruhe, Fakultät Architektur, Teil III, S. 109

Project-specific information

Project Experimental power station for the Technical University
Persons involved
  • Egon Eiermann und Robert Hilgers, Architektur
  • Technische Hochschule Karlsruhe
Project period 1951-1956, 2nd Construction phase 1959-1962

Object-specific information

Typology Kraftwerk, powerhouses

Site-specific information

Country Deutschland
City Karlsruhe